Understanding Chi Cycles

Chi follows a type of cyclic rhythm just like the 4 seasons: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. The time period from March to October is when Yang chi is really on the rise as the plant kingdom awakes from its winter sleep. This is particularly strong from the middle of May to August. If possible, you should try to take advantage of this period by practicing your standing Qigong exercises outdoors by large trees, rivers & streams, waterfalls, lakes or ponds, oceans, etc. It is a good time to connect with the life force of nature during these months. Avoid excessively windy days or bad weather conditions, but try to make the effort when possible.

From Middle October through January, chi is drawn inward and is contractive or Yin and is actually a good time for your skeletal system, bone marrow and blood as the chi is naturally compressed into these areas of the body. Therefore, it is easy to see that chi itself has a natural rhythm that can be used to your advantage as you train throughout the Earth’s seasons. The exercises remain unchanged, but the effect or benefit of the exercise automatically changes with the energy of the seasons and the tidal effect of the moon.

On the lunar side of the cycle, you will find that chi is stronger 3-days prior to the Full Moon all the way into the full lunation and weakest near the New Moon. This is true for approximately 70% of all students. The other 30% will find the exact opposite effect in other words the 3-days prior to the New Moon is the strongest for them while the period near the Full Moon is weakest. Logically, this lunation effect is strongest from the Middle of May to August when plant & tree life is most active and thriving.

Scientific research done by Guy Cramer of United Dynamics Corporation indicates that people are significantly affected by the ratio of positive or negative ions in the atmosphere. He created an indicator that he calls the ion ratio that he uses to predict the stock market, how athletes will perform, weather patterns, etc. with nearly 80% accuracy. An ion is a microscopic particle that either has a negative or positive charge. A normal breath of air has thousands of ions mixed in. Studies by Oxford University, RCA laboratories, U.S. Air Force, Mercedes Benz… with ion generators conclude that ions can have a dramatic impact on human performance and behavior.
After charting his ion ratio indicator and breaking down its cyclic components through array analysis and spectral analysis, I have determined that the moon and its phases has the greatest influence on the ratio of + or – ions in the atmosphere.

Chi Cycles

The peak in negative ions typically occurs 3 days prior to the full moon, which also supports physical experience with Qigong training methods. For the majority of Qigong practitioners, chi sensations will be much stronger a few days before the Full Moon. Only 1/3 of students should find that their chi gets stronger on high positive ion days, which usually occur just prior to the New Moon. The Full Moons that occur nearest the changing of the seasons: March 21st, June 21st, September 21st and December 21st are very strong; particularly March and September as the Sun crosses the path of the Earth’s equator causing a balance between the amount of night and day.

With this basic knowledge of Mother Nature’s natural chi rhythm, the Qigong Practitioner can maximize the benefits of his/her training by scheduling more focused or intense workouts during these highly beneficial times.

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply